Moving an entire Magento site from one server to another or between hosts can be a daunting task for non-server administrators.
I’m going to try and expand this over time.
- Agree time frames, a day for file system sync, an hour for database update and DNS update.
- Content Freeze – no new images or content is added by Store owner, customers continue to place orders and create accounts.
- A copy of the site is downloaded to the new server via FTP
- A snapshot of the database is taken and used to test the site on the new server
- Database Freeze – no new orders, holding page on the front end, Admin Panel still accessible if required but no updates allowed.
- Export/import database
- Old Server: mysqldump -u YourUser -p YourDatabaseName > wantedsqlfile.sql
- New Server wget http://www.yourwebsite.com/wantedsqlfile.sql
- New Server: mysql -u YourUser -p YourDatabaseName < wanted.sql
- Copy over/configure your SSL for the new site
- Next-up is the DNS update to repoint the domain